Each year around this time, I field the same question: Where can I go to cut down my own real Florida Christmas tree?
Let’s get one thing straight before we get any further: If you’re hoping to take a drive out to the Florida countryside and haul home a classic blue spruce, you’re going to be a bit disappointed. However, if you’re reading this publication, there’s a good chance you are looking for something a bit more … Florida. If that’s the case, you’re in luck.
Here are some popular Florida tree options:
- Red cedar: Dense tree with shiny, dark green needles
- Sand pine/spruce pine: Slender trunk, long blue-green needles, distinctive cones, fragrant.
- Leyland cypress: Popular across the Southeast, not much aroma, great for people with allergies
For the perfect Florida Christmas tree, check out these farms:
- Ergle Tree Farm
3331 Treiman Blvd
Dade City, FL 33523
- Lazy Lay Acres
14920 Swift Road
Dade City, FL 33525
- Santa’s Christmas Tree Forest Inc.
35317 Huff Road
Eustis, FL 32736
- Nicholas’ Christmas Tree Farm
14260 SE 80th Avenue
Summerfield, FL 34491
If you’re still determined to spruce up your season with a Douglas fir, don’t worry! Many tree farms are tapped into the public’s whimsical desire of traditional trees, and they ship them in from other areas of the country. Will you miss out on the “cutting your own tree” experience? Yes, but I’m not judging. There is a place for every tree, even Charlie Brown’s scraggly and sparse Christmas tree.