Well, 2020 is finally coming to a close, and what a long, strange year it’s been! With more people staying home and tending their gardens, Doty Farm & Garden Supply hope to see some stellar holiday landscapes over the winter. If you are new to gardening and landscaping, you may be wondering what to do to keep your yard lush and vibrant during the cooler months. We have a few tips to keep your landscape beautiful all winter.
- This is a great time to start a winter vegetable garden. Plant some cold weather crops, like carrots, cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower.
- Keep your veggies and other annuals growing strong by lightly applying a good quality fertilizer every other week.
- Prune the mature trees and shrubs on your property, plus any grape vines, peach trees, crape myrtles, or rose bushes. Proper pruning helps all of these plants thrive and produce flowers and fruit the way you want them to.
- If you’ve been wanting to add some larger plants to your landscape – such as trees or shrubs – this is the right time of year for planting dormant specimens so their roots will be well developed for the spring.
- Florida winters tend to be dry, so make sure everything is receiving adequate water.
And remember, the holidays are just around the corner, and gardening supplies make fantastic gifts. If you aren’t sure what to get, stop by Doty Farm & Garden Supply in Winter Haven for some ideas. We have helpful how-to guides, lovely hanging baskets, handy sprayers for applying fertilizers and pesticides, and, of course, absolutely gorgeous blooming plants that would love to make someone you care about smile this holiday!
From the Doty family to yours, we wish you all a safe and blessed holiday season, and we send out our hope that we all enjoy a healthy and prosperous new year. May our troubles fly out the door with 2020 and may 2021 bring in a new era of peace and plenty for all of us!
BIO: William R. “Bill” Doty is the owner of Doty Farm and Garden Supply Inc. Founded in 1954, Doty Farm and Garden Supply, Inc. has been there for every one of their loyal customer’s budding needs. Bill Graduated from Winter Haven H.S. and then Florida State University, where he learned invaluable lessons in listening, asking questions, and reading anything related to the family business. Bill shares his knowledge with his customers daily and our readers each month.