Protecting Your New Farm Building in a Flood Prone Area

Protecting Your New Farm Building in a Flood Prone Area

It’s no secret—we’ve been getting a lot of rain lately, which might have you concerned about buildings on your property that are close to bodies of water.[emember_protected custom_msg=”Click here and register now to read the rest of the article!”]

If you have any old barns, stables, poultry houses or other buildings you need to renovate, you really need to know about the 50 percent Rule. The rule requires building owners to comply with Polk County’s current floodplain management regulations when your structure is improved, or even damaged, by 50 percent or more. The percentage is calculated based on the building’s market value.

The goal is to protect lives, and investments, in flood prone areas. But it’s important to realize many structures built before the Floodplain Management Ordinance, and its Substantial Damage/Substantial Improvement Rule were adopted, do not comply with floodplain regulations. If the rule applied to them, they’d have to elevated.

So if you are planning any major upgrades to your farm buildings, you should know if your land is in a flood zone. You can call the county and ask them, or check your elevation certificate, at (863) 534-6765 or (863) 534-6767. Or, you can look for an elevation certificate online at



BIO: Baxter Troutman is founder and chief executive officer of Labor Solutions, a staffing company with offices in Bartow, Winter Haven, Lake Wales, and Arcadia. A citrus grower who served in the Florida House of Representatives, Troutman understands the challenges and concerns of today’s farmer. [/emember_protected]